SeeClearJax introduces IntraLase LASIK (100% Blade-Free LASIK procedure)
Friday, March 19, 2010
The IntraLase Method is a 100% blade-free approach to LASIK flap creation, which is the critical first step in the LASIK procedure. The creation of the LASIK flap prepares the eye for the second step of the LASIK procedure, when another (different) laser, known as an excimer laser is used to correct vision.
Millions of IntraLase procedures have been safely and effectively performed with more patients receiving better results than with a microkeratome. Having your procedure with the IntraLase improves precision and outcomes of LASIK, whether you choose to have a standard or custom procedure.
How it Works
IntraLase delivers micron-level accuracy, giving Dr. Chokshi more control during the procedure. He also had the ability to tailor the size, shape and depth of the LASIK flap for each individual patient and each individual eye. This method of flap creation takes approximately 15 to 20 seconds per eye, and the entire procedure is typically completed in 15-20 minutes.
The IntraLase method creates the LASIK flap with tiny, rapid pulses of laser light. As the IntraLase laser moves back and forth across your eye, a uniform layer of bubbles forms just below the corneal surface at a specific depth and position within your eye that is determined by Dr. Chokshi.
The flap is created by gently separating the tissue where these bubbles have formed. The LASIK flap is then folded back so the doctor can perform the second step of your LASIK treatment. Once the procedure is completed the LASIK flap “locks” back into position.
Checklist: Preparing for Your Blade-Free LASIK Experience
One or two weeks before your procedure:
- Arrange transportation for the day of your procedure. It will not be safe for you to drive home
- Plan on being out of work for 1 to 2 days following the procedure
- Please advise us of any medications you are taking
On the day of your procedure:
- Wear warm, comfortable clothing
- There are no restrictions on eating or drinking and you may take all of your normal medications
- Remove all facial makeup (lipstick, facial creams, eye makeup)
- Arrive at the office 30 minutes before your scheduled surgery time and plan on being in the office for approximately 2 hours for your procedure
After your procedure:
- Please come back to the office for all follow-up appointments
- Use all medications as directed by Dr. Chokshi
- Protect your eyes from sunlight after the procedure especially during the first 7 days
There are numerous benefits of having your LASIK procedure performed blade-free. This advanced method of flap creation has been shown to improve outcomes for more patients. Patients may experience faster recovery, fewer LASIK flap-related complications and fewer induced higher order aberrations. Higher order aberrations may contribute to visual disturbances such as glare and halos.
The IntraLase method combined with Zyoptix personalized laser vision correction gives Dr. Chokshi the ability to tailor the dimensions of you LASIK flap and treatment based on what is best for your eye. These individualized flaps contribute to excellent postoperative outcomes.
Please contact us for more information or to schedule your appointment at 904.346.3506.